The easiest way to set picture as contact photo on Android KitKat and other Android versions, is assigning the photo to that contact from the gallery. Set, or change contact's profile picture on Android by doing as follows:
**Note that we used Nexus 7 2013 running Kitkat to write this tip, and on other Android device the instruction may vary a little.
1. Open Gallery application
2. Browse the pictures and open the image you wan to be set a contact photo
3. Tap the 3 dot icon, and tap "Set picture as"
4. Choose Set as Contact photo
5. Now your contacts are open and you just need to select a contact to assign the picture to
6. Crop the photo, hit the Save button on the top left and Done