After many rumors and news about the latest iteration of Note series, the long waited Galaxy Note 3 finally was revealed at IFA 2013 Berlin in Samsung Unpacked Event. We all remember all the negative reviews about Galaxy Note 1 back in 2011 (Just like first generation of iPad), but now we see other companies are making products just like Galaxy Note series.
Let’s discuss more about this Bigger, Lighter, Thinner, and Faster device:
Samsung used the same old design for Note 3 and you may notice no difference when looking its front view, expect the bigger screen size. But the slides of Note 3 has a metal look and truing the device back, reveals a leather finish, with stitching around the borders which makes the device look elegant and stylish. Speaking of thinner and lighter, Note 3 is about 12 grams lighter than Note 2 (it is 168 grams) and its 8.2mm thickness makes it 1.1 mm thinner than its older brother.
When Samsung announces one of its flagships (Galaxy S series and Galaxy Note series), it uses the most powerful hardware possible with the most CPU cores possible to beat all the competitors, specifications wise. Note 3 is released in 2 models which one of them supports LTE. The LTE version is equipped with a Snapdragon 800, Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 as the CPU and Adreno 330 as the GPU, while the 3G version is equipped with Quad-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A15 & quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7. Both models come with 3GB of RAM and 32/64 GB of memory with Micro SD support.
We have already showed you why Note3 is lighter, thinner, and faster, now let’s talk about its Bigger screen in compare to Note 2. Note3 has a 5.7 Full HD (1080 x 1920 pixels) Super AMOLED display with the 386ppi pixel density.
The 13 mega pixel camera is equipped with LED flash, Auto Focus and some other features like: Dual Shot, Simultaneous HD video and image recording, Touch Focus, HDR and Panorama mode and recording 4k videos is really a distinguished feature.
When we talk about Galaxy Note series, the very first thing that is associated with the device is the S Pen. Samsung has improved the design of S Pen and added some useful feature to the pen, called Air Command. When you put the pen near the screen, a popup menu is opened and you are able to do the following actions:
- Action Memo: It converts your notes to something readable by the device, for example you have written a phone number with your S Pen, and to call or add that phone number to contacts, you just need to highlight the text, and the device automatically understands the drawn numbers.
- S Finder: It lets you search through your handwritten notes.
- Scrapbook: It collects and organizes your notes like what you expect from a real scrapbook
- Pen Window: We can mention this feature as the most innovative and creative feature introduced by Samsung. It is activated as you draw a rectangle or square on the screen, and it shows a list of applications which can be opened over other apps in the already specified area with pen. Suppose you are doing your finances and a calculator hovers above your notes and you can easily do some calculations, and then either close, move or minimize the calculator application.
- Screen Write: You can take screenshots, annotate photos and share them with friends easier than ever.
There have been some improvement for the Multi Windows feature and now you are able to transfer contents from one window to the other one. It is also possible to open 2 different instances of the same application, for example start a conversation on Chat On with 2 friends in different windows simultaneously.
The last but not the least is My Magazine to follow your favorite news, which is a lot like HTC Blinkfeed, or Flipboard.
Release Date and Prices
The first week of October is expected to be the date that AT&T customers will get their device by paying 299 USD for a 2 year contract. It seems Verizon users should also pay the same amount as AT&T users does for getting Note3 with a 2 year contract, while the unlocked version suggests to be priced at $599.
Galaxy Note 3 Specifications
- Size: 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm, 168 Grams
- Display: 5.7 inches, 1080 x 1920 pixels, Super AMOLED
- Memory: 3GB of Ram, 32/64 GB storage, Mciro SD up to 64 GB
- Camera: 13Mp front, and 2MP rear, 2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps (LTE model)
- CPU: Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400 (LTE model)
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, Infra-Red
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, temperature and humidity
- Colors: Black, White, Pink
- Battery: Li-Ion 3200 mAh battery
As mentioned in the article we really liked the Pen Window feature, what do you like most about Note 3? Is the Bigger, Lighter, Thinner, and Faster device, worth the price?