If you ask an iPhone fan boy to mock an Android fan boy, the very first thing he might mention is that when the latest version of Android is supposed to be available on your device. And are you even getting it after all? And you have nothing to respond.

Well, like always Google updates the latest distribution of its popular mobile OS and according to the latest statistics, 20.9% of Android devices which visited Google Play Store app during a 7-day period ending on August 12, 2014, are running Android KitKat. It is really interesting to see how fast mobile manufacturers are adopting the latest version of Android for their devices, and we should also not forget the art of Google’s engineers to let the KiKat run on low-end specifications.


The most installed version of Android still goes to Jelly Bean which accounts for about 55% of Android devices. Android 4.0 (4.0.3 and 4.0.4 to be more precise) is now running on 10.6% of devices which is 0.8% less than the July’s statistics.

To look at a bigger picture, since 14.2% of Android devices are using either Gingerbread or Froyo, the remaining 85.8% are running Android 4.0 or higher.

Since, Android L is just a few months away from the official release, how do you think the distribution statistics change over the time? Will Android L be as fast growing as Android KitKat or the iPhone lovers will still be able to laugh at how you are not getting the latest version of Android on your high-end device?