Information systems sound solid and very modern. But what does this phrase mean for a student of the 21st century?
The Meaning and the Main Components of the Student Information Systems
Today, in the conditions of fierce competition in the market, any enterprise is unable to conduct a successful business without the use of modern information technologies in its industry. In general, an information system (IS) is an organizationally ordered interconnected set of means and methods of information technology, as well as those used for storing, processing, and issuing information in order to achieve the goal. The modern understanding of the information system involves the use of a personal computer as the main technical means of information processing. In large organizations, along with a personal computer, the mainframe may be part of the technical base of the information system. An information system for students is a system for automating the activities of organizations, which includes:
- technical support (a set of technical means for the operation of the system);
- software and mathematical support;
- information support and technologies;
- organizational, methodological, and legal support.
The Importance of Student Information Systems in College Education
Students are digital natives. They grew up with technology. Technology is woven into their lives. But technology in education is not just the use of digital devices - it is something that facilitates the interaction between a teacher and a student, which increases the effectiveness and hence the quality of the educational process. The desire to learn and work among the younger generation is at an all-time low, and educators compete with countless entertainment on phones, tablets, and laptops. Technology can be seen as the culprit behind many of the problems in education, or it can be used to improve collaboration and efficiency. The top students’ information systems ensure the collection, storage, processing, search, and issuance of information necessary in the process of making decisions on tasks from any area. They help analyze problems and create new products. However, the technical implementation of the information system in itself will mean nothing if the role of the person for whom the information in the system is intended and without which it is impossible to receive and present it is not taken into account.
Positive Aspects of the Implementation of the Student Information Systems
Digitalization is an essential attribute of modernity. It is not surprising that the active spread of modern technologies primarily affects such public institutions that are associated with development, training, and renewal, in particular, universities. This system has been functioning for a long time, but until now, some of its participants or individual divisions do not understand the general mechanism of interaction between themselves and do not see the whole picture. We can highlight the following positive aspects of the implementation of information systems for students:
- An information system can improve goods or services by improving quality, reducing costs, or adding desirable features.
- Students prepare for careers in the development, evaluation, and support of IT security solutions.
- Based on previous educational experience, students learn to create and use the best write my essay services. The service called writemyessaytoday.us provides an opportunity to get in direct contact with the performer and communicate personally. Once placed, the task is displayed in the order feed. Thanks to the huge number of expert authors, responses to the order come quickly.
- The information system increases efficiency and productivity.
- Those systems demonstrate a long-term focus on career vision, are organized and able to manage their time, and the ability to combine work and life.
- The information system contains a unified tool for providing students with educational and methodological materials, author's training courses prepared in various environments (Moodle system, course preparation systems developed at NSTU, other software environments for preparing educational materials). The presence of this toolkit allows teachers to effectively teach students of various forms (including distance learning).
Negative Aspects of the Implementation of the Students’ Information System
Among the main cons of student information systems are:
- deterioration in the physiological state and health of the student (unstable children's psyche leads to addiction to the computer of students, which affects their health);
- a number of psychological and pedagogical problems (unfiltered information causes psychological harm to the child);
- a decrease in the student's speech activity (which is especially typical for forms of open and distance learning), as a result of which the student does not have sufficient practice in formulating and expressing his own thoughts.